Location: The bridge is located on North Academy Boulevard, where it crosses Cottonwood Creek just south of the intersection with York Road / Brookwood Drive.
Overview: This important project replaces an aging, substandard bridge, bringing the structure up to modern safety standards, and completes an important connection on the Cottonwood Creek Trail. The project team studied multiple options of replacing or rehabilitating the bridge, and where to have the trail cross both Academy Boulevard and the creek. Public input was a critical element of the decision process, including a public meeting in May 2016, where some 80% of respondents favored or accepted the new trail extension under the south side of the bridge.
- The existing bridge will be replaced in three phases, keeping two lanes of traffic open in each direction at all times.
- Access to businesses on Academy Boulevard will be maintained at all times.
- Sidewalk will be added on the northbound side of Academy.
- The project will extend the Cottonwood Creek Trail westward under the new Academy Boulevard bridge, on the south side of the creek. Approximately 300 feet south of the bridge, the trail will cross Cottonwood Creek via a pedestrian bridge, connecting to the segment of the trail that runs on the north side.
- New drop structures in Cottonwood Creek will help control erosion and creek flow.
Schedule: Construction is expected to continue through April 2019. During February, crews will complete work on the sidewalk on the east side of the bridge, then shift traffic to the outside lanes in both directions so the median can be built. All construction is weather and resource-dependent. If you wish to receive regular emails on construction progress and impacts, email email@example.com(link sends e-mail).
Budget: $7 million. The project is funded by multiple sources, primarily the PPRTA (Pikes Peak Rural Transportation Authority). The trail portion of the project is funded by Colorado Springs Parks, Recreation and Cultural Services.
George Hayward, 719-314-5018; firstname.lastname@example.org. Your call or email will be returned within one business day.