This winter, help those in need by becoming a "Snow Angel" and ensure everyone's sidewalk is clear of ice and snow, providing safe access for pedestrian commuters — especially school children.
The program backed by the Council of Neighbors and Organizations (CONO), local schools, city agencies, neighborhood organizations, and Bike Colorado Springs, asks that residents comply with the City snow/ice removal ordinance and encourages them to take the additional step to help out neighbors in need of assistance with snow removal.
The City ordinance on snow/ice removal requires residents to remove ice and snow from sidewalks adjacent to their property within 24 hours of a snow storm and by 5 p.m. the next day for businesses.
The best way to help is by being a "Snow Angel" and aiding your neighbors in need of snow removal assistance. Volunteering is greatly appreciated and is a wonderful way to get to know those in your neighborhood while keeping our children and pedestrians safe.
Ways you can be a Snow Angel
- Remove snow and ice from all sidewalks adjacent to your property, including sidewalks on the side of your home/ business if you reside on a corner lot and, in some cases, the sidewalk behind your property if it backs up to a street.
- Ensure sidewalks are free of ice within 24 hours of a storm's end or by 5 p.m. the next day for businesses.
- If you are unable to clear your sidewalk, ask a neighbor or family member for help. Or, to find snow removal services, please search the internet for snow removal services or check with your neighborhood organization.
- Offer to clear your neighbor's sidewalk if they are elderly, disabled, or simply unable to perform the task.
- If a neighbor has repeatedly failed to clear their sidewalk please contact Neighborhood Services.
- Review the City ordinance for more information regarding required clearing of snow/ice removal on sidewalks.
Residents who would like more information on how to start a Snow Angel program in their neighborhood should contact CONO. For residents who are unable to clear their sidewalks, you may also contact CONO, and they will check to see if there is a Snow Angel program in your neighborhood.
CONO can be reached at 719-471-3105 or by email at email@example.com.