It's up to each of us to keep our waters clean...
That's the idea behind the Adopt-A-Waterway Program. The City of Colorado Springs Water Resources Engineering division encourages local businesses, civil and professional organizations, environmental groups, academic institutions, neighborhood groups, and other community-minded organizations to formally Adopt-A-Waterway for the purpose of protecting and improving water quality.
As an adopting organization, your group would be asked to participate in two cleanups a year and maintain your adopted waterway for a minimum of two years. A small commitment for your water quality! So find a nearby waterway and sign up today. Each adopting organization:
- Must include a minimum of 6 people and have at least 1 adult (21 years or older)
- Must adopt at least a 1/4 to 1/2 mile stretch of creek or stream. Larger reaches must be approved by staff.
- Adopts a waterway for a period of at least 2 years
- Agrees to cleanup their adopted waterway at least two times a year
- Agrees to coordinate the group's activities with the City's Project coordinator.
- Agrees to all safety requirements.
For more information, please contact Jerry Cordova at 719-385-5033 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Download Adopt-A-Waterway Forms
If you would like to join our program please download and complete the following forms:
- Program Checklist (Document No. 1)
- Agreement (Document No. 2)
- Enrollment (Document No. 3)
- Please complete the following forms for each clean-up activity:
- Risk and Release (Document No. 4)
- Dates and Activities (Document No. 5)
- Safety Guidelines (Document No. 6)
- Data Form (Document No. 7)
2017 Adopt-A-Waterway numbers:
- Number of Volunteers: 1,150
- Hours of Volunteerism: 3,450
- Value of Volunteer Hours: $83,283
- Number of Cleanup Events: 82
- Pounds/Tons of Litter Removed: 36,200 pounds/18.1 tons