Main Menu

You are here

Housing Programs



On this page you will find information about the following:

Architectural Barrier Removal Program

Application period currently closed.

Community Development provides assistance for home modifications for physically disabled persons through the Architectural Barrier Removal Program. The program can provide one-time grant assistance for permanent modifications that reduce architectural barriers in the home of a disabled person.  Modifications can include ramps, handrails, widening door openings for wheelchair accessibility, safety grab bars and certain other modifications.  Mobile home modification is limited to an exterior ramp or steps.

Total household income must be within the program income guidelines outlined below.  The home must be located within the city limits of Colorado Springs and must be of modest value as defined by the U. S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.  Documentation of current household income and a letter of medical need must be provided at the time of application. 

Additionally, if the home is a rental property, the owner must give written permission for the modifications to be made.  Other qualifications may apply. Division staff will help throughout the application process.  Staff will help the applicant complete an application, design the modifications, and help find a qualified contractor.  


Back to top

Emergency Repair Program

The Emergency Repair Program provides grant assistance for housing conditions that are an immediate hazard to the health, safety or welfare of a property owner located in the City of Colorado Springs. Emergency repairs can include sewer lines, furnaces, boilers, hot water heaters, plumbing, electrical and glass. Repairs to mobile homes and manufactured homes are limited to plumbing and mechanical systems.  Sewer lifetime grant maximum: $7,500.  All other emergencies grant maximum: $2,500


  • You must meet the current income guidelines
  • The property must be your primary residence
  • You must own and occupy the property
  • The property cannot exceed current HUD after rehabilitation values
  • The property cannot be located in the floodplain
For assistance please contact:
Brothers Redevelopment
Eden Armendariz



Back to top

Lights & Locks for Seniors

The Housing Development Division, in cooperation with the Colorado Springs Police Department, provides grant assistance to low-and moderate-income seniors to improve the security of their homes. Security improvements can include deadbolts, peep holes, motion sensor lighting, safety chains, strike plates, replacement of exterior hollow core doors and other improvements. Homeowner grant maximum: $1,500 Tenant grant maximum: $750 Qualifications:

  • You must be 55 years of age or older
  • You must meet the current income guidelines located on application
  • The property must be your primary residence
  • Tenant: must provide a completed form signed by the property owner or authorized agent
  • You must be willing to have a member of the Colorado Springs Police Department Crime Prevention Unit complete a Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED) inspection of your property.
    The property cannot exceed current HUD after rehabilitation values
  • The property cannot be located in the floodplain

Once you qualify and have a completed CPTED report, a Redevelopment Specialist will meet with you to discuss the improvements suggested in the CPTED and obtain a contractor to make the improvements. 

Back to top

Owner Occupant Rehab Grant Program                      (application period currently closed) 


This program allows eligible homeowners located in the City of Colorado Springs to qualify for a grant to make necessary improvements to their home. The funds are primarily used to repair/replace substandard or failing housing conditions and make energy efficiency improvements. Improvements can include, repairing or replacing roof, windows, doors, hot water heater, furnace, flooring, plumbing, electrical and more.

  • You must meet the current income guidelines listed on the application
  • The property must be your primary residence
  • You must be the owner of record of the property to be rehabilitated
  • The property cannot exceed current HUD after rehabilitation values
  • The property cannot be located in the floodplain

Once you qualify, a Redevelopment Specialist will inspect your home to identify necessary improvements and develop a cost estimate. A contractor will be obtained through a competitive quote process and will make the improvements to your home. The city will disburse the funds to the contractor on your behalf. Lead-based paint testing may be performed on homes built before 1978. Asbestos testing may also be required.  

For more information call (719) 385-5912 or e-mail

Back to top

Loan Services for existing loans    

In prior years, the Community Development Division provided housing rehabilitation loans, currently the division does not offer loans.  The division currently provides assistance with existing loans such as payments, delinquencies, payoffs and releasing, credit verifications, subordinations and loan assumptions.  

Call (719) 385-5912 or e-mail if you have questions about your existing loan.  

Back to top