Board Details and Roster
The Public Art Commission was established in 1982 by the City of Colorado Springs and El Paso County. A 12-member all volunteer board, including two elected officials serving as liaisons from Colorado Springs City Council and El Paso County’s Board of Commissioners, the Commission is charged with acting in an advisory capacity to evaluate, advocate, stimulate and facilitate matters of public art and culture.
Thanks to support from the State of Colorado’s Creative Industries Peer Assistance Network (PAN), the Public Art Commission held a facilitated goal setting session in early 2011. In order to craft realistic goals with meaningful community impact, the Commission reviewed the identified priorities of COPPeR’s community developed Cultural Plan, and surveyed 50 local arts and community leaders to solicit input on the work of the Art Commission prior to the goal setting session.
Public art came out as a top concern for the community, and so is a top goal for the Commission. The Commission is currently focusing on public art in two ways:
- Promoting the more than 50 pieces currently in the Art in Public Places collection and located throughout the City of Colorado Springs and El Paso County, and
- Working to get more art into public spaces and buildings, especially those outside of the downtown core.
Check out some of the great pieces currently in the Art in Public Places collection on PeakRadar.com.
Attend a Meeting
|Meetings||Length of Term|
|1982||3rd Tuesday of Every Month||Three-Year Term|
The Public Art Commission meets monthly on the 3rd Tuesday of the month. Meetings begin at 4pm and are held on the 2nd floor of City Hall in the Pikes Peak Conference Room. Agendas for each meeting are posted online one week prior to the meeting.
With no dedicated funding in place for commissioning public art, the majority of pieces included in the Art in Public Places collection have been donated by private citizens and community organizations. If you are interested in donating a piece of artwork, please review the “Process for Accepting Loaned and/or Donated Artwork”.
Please note, individuals or organizations that wish to donate art are also responsible for a 10% maintenance fund (based on the value of the sculpture) that will help defray the cost of long-term maintenance.
Join the Commission
A 12-member all volunteer board, the Commission reviews openings on an annual basis. Any open positions are posted here, and publicized by the City each spring. All Commission positions are appointed by the City of Colorado Springs Council.
Length of Terms: Three-year term
Frequency of Meetings: Third Tuesday of the month at 4 p.m., Pikes Peak Room, City Hall
Description: The commission is charged with acting in an advisory capacity to evaluate, advocate, stimulate and facilitate matters of public art and culture. The Commission is currently focusing on public art in two ways: promoting the more than 50 pieces currently in the Art in Public Places collection and located throughout the City of Colorado Springs and El Paso County, and working to get more art into public spaces and buildings, especially those outside of the downtown core.
Agendas and Minutes
- November 15, 2022 agenda
- October 19, 2022 agenda
- September 20, 2022 agenda
- August 16, 2022 agenda
- July 19, 2022 agenda
- December 2020 Agenda | December 2020 Minutes
- November 2020 Agenda | November 2020 Minutes
- October 2020 Agenda
- September 2020 Agenda | September 2020 Minutes
- August 2020 Agenda | August 2020 Minutes
- July 2020 Agenda | July 2020 Minutes
- June 2020 Agenda
- May 2020 Minutes
- May 2020 Special Meeting Minutes
- January 2020 Agenda | January 2020 Minutes
- November 2019 Agenda | November 2019 minutes
- October 2019 Agenda
- September 2019 Agenda
- August 2019 Agenda
- July 2019 Agenda
- June 2019 Agenda | June 2019 minutes
- May 2019 Agenda | May 2019 minutes
- April 2019 Agenda | April 2019 minutes
- March 19 2019 Agenda | March 2019 minutes
- February 2019 Agenda | February 2019 minutes
- January 2019 Agenda
- December 2018 Agenda
- November 2018 Agenda
- October 2018 Agenda | October 2018 Minutes
- September 2018 Agenda | September 2018 Minutes
- August 2018 Agenda | August 2018 Minutes
- July 2018 Agenda | July 2018 Minutes
- June 2018 Agenda | June 2018 Minutes
- May 2018 Agenda | May 2018 Minutes
- April 2018 Agenda
- March 2018 Minutes