Colorado Springs Police Cadet Program
The Cadet Program is designed to develop young leaders who become active in our community. Throughout the year, CSPD Cadets will attend leadership conferences, volunteer at local non-profits, and more, all while learning about the role law enforcement plays in Colorado Springs. While some cadets do go on to become CSPD officers, or work in the criminal justice field, our main goal is not to recruit, but rather to help equip some of our youngest community members with strong leadership skills and knowledge that they can take with them in the future.
- Applicants must be between the ages of 14 and 19 years of age.
- Applicants must pass a criminal history check and background investigation.
- Applicants will be accepted during the year and must be approved by the cadet coordinator before being eligible for an oral interview.
- After satisfactory completion of the oral interview, the cadet will be advised of the time, date, and location of their first cadet meeting.
- A copy of the Cadet Handbook will be issued to each accepted applicant to read and sign.
- The member’s parent(s) (if a member is 17 years of age or under) must sign an agreement of compliance that they have read the Cadet Program Standing Operating Procedures (SOP) and give their permission for the Cadet to join the Colorado Springs Police Department’s Cadet Program
- Any member not complying with the Cadet Program SOPs may be subject to disciplinary action or dismissal from the program.
- Must participate in community service events, department-requested special events and post fundraisers.
- Must be able to attend bi-weekly meetings on Wednesday nights from 6:00pm - 8:00pm.
- Community Service
- Police Job Training
- Post Fundraising
- Police Ride-Alongs
- Monthly Meetings
- State and Regional Competitions
- Joint Training with S.W.A.T. and Reserve Officers
- Cadet Honor Guard
- Social Activities
- Athletic Activities and Competitions
Cadets will receive training and an introduction to: law enforcement, police ethics, community relations, mindfulness, de-escalation, first aid, mental health first aid, resume building, leadership, followership, criminal law, radio communications, criminal investigations, use of force laws, crime scene searches, evidence collection, domestic violence, officer safety, vehicle stops, patrol functions, report writing and firearms safety.
We are currently accepting applications for a Fall 2021 start. Please download the application, read it carefully, and complete ALL parts. Return the completed application to:
Colorado Springs Police Department
c/o Community Relations
705 S. Nevada Ave.
Colorado Springs, CO 80903