The Colorado Springs Police Department conducts two processes to select Police Officer candidates. Applicants must meet the minimum requirements for the position they are applying for upon registration, unless otherwise noted.
This position is for applicants who have no prior law enforcement experience or less than three years of paid experience as a law enforcement officer. The minimum qualifications for Police Recruit are:
- You must be by the date of hire at least 21 years of age.
- You must not have been convicted of a felony.
- You must not have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
- You must not have been convicted of a misdemeanor crime that would affect your ability to certify with the Colorado Police Officer Standards and Training (POST) Board. Visit the POST website for a list of misdemeanors that will preclude police officer certification.
*Note - there is currently no program in place to accept work experience or military experience in lieu of the education requirement.* You must have by the date of hire an Associate Degree, 60 semester hours of college credit, or 91 quarter hours of college credit. A national or regional accrediting organization recognized by the United States Department of Education must accredit the school or institution granting the degree or credits. Candidates who do not meet educational minimums upon application must submit a statement from their school confirming that they are currently enrolled in a course of study that will allow the candidate to meet the minimum qualifications upon date of hire. If you have not completed the college credit hour requirements, see Alternative Education Options.
- If hired, you will be required to furnish proof of your eligibility to work in the U.S.
- All applicants who are offered employment must provide documents to establish their identity and employment eligibility for authorization to work in the U.S.
- You must not have been released or discharged from the Armed Forces of the United States under dishonorable conditions.
- You must be in good physical condition and meet medical standards as established by the City of Colorado Springs Police Department.
- You must have and maintain a valid driver's license.
- By date of hire, candidates who have been selected for employment must possess and maintain a valid Colorado driver's license.
Police Lateral Recruit
This position is for experienced police officers. In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications for Police Recruits, lateral police officer applicants must meet the following additional qualifications:
- You must be currently certified as a Level I Peace Officer in Colorado as defined by CRS Section 16-2.5-101, or similarly qualified as a Police Officer in another state or federal jurisdiction. Applicants who are serving or have served as military or security police in the Armed Forces do not meet this definition; therefore, they must apply as a Police Recruit.
- You must have at least three years of paid police officer experience as a patrol officer within the last five years. The Department may waive the requirement to have served as a patrol officer in certain circumstances. Experienced officers who have served three years as a patrol officer, but have subsequently been appointed or promoted to Detective or promoted to a supervisory position, could also satisfy the requirement.
- (If you have any questions about your eligibility to apply as a Lateral Police Officer, please email Cassie Mills at email@example.com)
NOTE: Speaking a second language is a desirable qualification for both recruit and lateral applicants. Applicants may apply for one position or the other, but not both.
Although you may meet the minimum qualifications, there are several reasons you could be disqualified from being a police officer.