Barnes Road between Powers Boulevard and Solar Ridge Drive to the west has had two lanes of traffic in each direction, with no median, sidewalks or drainage facilities, and a steep downhill slope from the west toward Powers Boulevard. Colorado Springs voters approved two projects to fund improvements to Barnes Road, via the PPRTA-2 “A List” approved by voters in 2012, and the City’s 2C paving program approved by voters in 2015. This project is widening Barnes to four lanes with median, sidewalk and stormwater infrastructure between Powers Boulevard and the Homestead Trail crossing, just east of Solar Ridge Drive.
- Improvements include curb and gutter, sidewalks, median, turn lanes
- Install storm drain infrastructure
- Prepare intersection for future signal installation at Rio Vista Rd.
Construction began in February 2020 and will see final paving in Spring 2021, depending on weather and resources.
- Installed major stormwater infrastructure underground (image at right)
- Improved and reopened Jeffery Road at Barnes Road
- Completed curb, gutter, and sidewalk through much of the north side of Barnes Road. The image below, from November, shows the north side of the road under construction, with Jeffery Road reopened near the top, and curb and gutter installed near the bottom of the hill.
The project budget is approximately $ 2,225,000, funded by the voter-approved PPRTA2. The top-lift of asphalt will be provided by the 2C program, with a separate contractor and a separate funding source.
Public Information Contact:
George Hayward, firstname.lastname@example.org, 719-314-5018.